Sunday, September 20, 2009

Psych: Why Are there Bad Looking Couples?

Why are there so many bad looking couples? In high school there were enough examples of bad couples to make me bang my head on the walls. A good looking guy with an unnattractively mean girl. A really popular girl with the weirdest dude. It boggled my mind. I still wonder about it.

A recent conversation with a friend revealed to me that girls can change their minds and do change what they want in a guy, often she suggests. One year she was with a model looking guy a few years later she's with the biggest dude I've ever seen. B-I-G, BIG, =).

Physically attractive, intellectually stimulating, being charming all describe ideal traits a great guy should have. However,trying to be  an ideal mate looks to me to be a goal unworthy of your time.
I had a Sim on the game: The Sims that was everything I wanted to be, maxed out intelligence, athletics, cooking ability. . . And the guy could never get a date. It frustrated me, but the lesson was that there's more to human interaction than maxing out your stats, pages read, hours studied, number of bench presses.

In a past relationship, I really tried to be the highest quality of man. I was everything I ever learned to be in regards to being a gentleman, athletic, intelligent, kind, generous, I maxed out my stats so to speak. For whatever reason, the relationship didn't work out. In fact she sought out comfort from lesser males, and I mean, really, really gnarly looking, deadbeats. I couldn't let go of the fact that we looked like a great couple, similar interests, similar values and goals. It just didn't work out, because I wasn't what she wanted.

The final line: don't be drawn in by the seductive practice of finding ideal couples in your life or that of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment