This article sheds light on people that believe that Avatar was a racist movie. The white Messiah comes and saves the indigenous colored people. Examples in film are Tom Cruise in "The Last Samurai" and Kevin Costner in "Dances with Wolves" and the real life example of John Smith and Pocahontas.
I'll get back to why people that call Avatar racist are idiots, but first my take on the Movie. It was Art in the most technologically advanced, compelling, emotional way ever created. I didn't cry when I saw a painting by Da Vinci and my heart didn't churn when I read John Steinbeck's East of Eden. Movie making is the medium by which every field of artistic endeavor (writing, drawing, photography, music) can come together and create an even more dynamic masterpiece; Avatar is the masterpiece of our time.
As black film professor Donald Bogle has said:
That request and degradation of this film's theme to racism is uneducated and pathetic. The main complaint is: why can't colored people save themselves. Yes, the white Jakesully rallies the blue Na'vi, but he doesn't win the war for them, the moon's deity, Eywa saves the day. And if religion is not your flavor, then ham it up to dumb luck as rhino-type beasts decide take a jog and stamp out the villainous ground troops or to the thousands of flying creatures that suddenly arrive just to wonder what a flying piece of metal would taste like. -- Had the ikran (mountain banshees) not attacked the escorts, Jake would never had gotten close enough to blow up the bombers. It would have been a dues ex machina, had the whole film not centered around this Eywa spirituality the WHOLE TIME, where importance is placed on the spirit behind the physical embodiment being the true person (I See You).
As an advocate for equality I continually am disappointed by the ways people find a problem in everything, then go write about it or bitch about it with other friends who go an write about it themselves. Do they create solutions? NO. They elaborate on some problem. Now with this poor accusation I mark the death of a College Ten all star; I bled that theme social justice and community, but it's time to ditch that type of whining to work with real people and real solutions.
James Cameron has remarked on Avatar's real theme:
Does the existence of an alien species expose the reality that all humans are actually one race
I'll get back to why people that call Avatar racist are idiots, but first my take on the Movie. It was Art in the most technologically advanced, compelling, emotional way ever created. I didn't cry when I saw a painting by Da Vinci and my heart didn't churn when I read John Steinbeck's East of Eden. Movie making is the medium by which every field of artistic endeavor (writing, drawing, photography, music) can come together and create an even more dynamic masterpiece; Avatar is the masterpiece of our time.
As black film professor Donald Bogle has said:
"Maybe there is something he does want to say and put across" about race, Bogle said. "Maybe if he had a black hero in there, that point would have been even stronger."
That request and degradation of this film's theme to racism is uneducated and pathetic. The main complaint is: why can't colored people save themselves. Yes, the white Jakesully rallies the blue Na'vi, but he doesn't win the war for them, the moon's deity, Eywa saves the day. And if religion is not your flavor, then ham it up to dumb luck as rhino-type beasts decide take a jog and stamp out the villainous ground troops or to the thousands of flying creatures that suddenly arrive just to wonder what a flying piece of metal would taste like. -- Had the ikran (mountain banshees) not attacked the escorts, Jake would never had gotten close enough to blow up the bombers. It would have been a dues ex machina, had the whole film not centered around this Eywa spirituality the WHOLE TIME, where importance is placed on the spirit behind the physical embodiment being the true person (I See You).
As an advocate for equality I continually am disappointed by the ways people find a problem in everything, then go write about it or bitch about it with other friends who go an write about it themselves. Do they create solutions? NO. They elaborate on some problem. Now with this poor accusation I mark the death of a College Ten all star; I bled that theme social justice and community, but it's time to ditch that type of whining to work with real people and real solutions.
James Cameron has remarked on Avatar's real theme:
[Avatar] asks us to open our eyes and truly see others, respecting them even though they are different, in the hope that we may find a way to prevent conflict and live more harmoniously on this world. I hardly think that is a racist message."
Does the existence of an alien species expose the reality that all humans are actually one race

No comments:
Post a Comment